Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tried everything I can to remote desktop. HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgi1chuikov

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I am trying to remote desktop from my Win2k Pro PC at work to my WinXP Pro PC at home. Other co-workers can remote to their home PCs from this PC so the problem is at my home PC. I have a linksys router and ZA. My other PC at home can remote the XP pc thru the router by typing the router IP of 192.168.x.xxx so the XP PC is set up to recieve the request (also, netstat shows the remote desktop port as being listend for). I have the actual IP address of my PC and it will not let me remote from work to home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Have you set up your Linksys to forward TCP port 3389 to the internal IP address of your XP Pro machine at home?

In addition to Serbtastic's comments, make sure that at work you are using the router's WAN IP address, not 192.168.x.x

thank both of you, yes, i have fowarded the port to 3389 to the internal IP address. I believe that i was trying the WAN address but, after trying so many things over the last few days I am not sure. I will try this when I get home.

The worst error message you can get is "windows is now loading".....

I just noticed you have ZA on your PC at home. Have you configured ZA to allow remote desktop connections from outside your internal network?

I am not sure, so I would have to assume no, i have not configured ZA to accept Remote desktop. Do i do this by adding it as a program and allowing it to act as a server? Normally ZA asks you so I assumed (yes, bad word)that it was not needed.

The worst error message you can get is "windows is now loading".....

ok, ZA was setup correctly, i even set up the IP from the client PC as a "trusted" IP, I am using the WAN ip address, i had "block wan requests" enabled on the router and now i disabled that, still no good. I bet this is a router config problem as I can remote from 1 pc on the router to the other PC on the router using the internal address but cannot remote from outside PCs using the WAN address. Any other advice?

now i figured out the problem, ZA (the free one, i bet it is easier to setup on the PRO version by port) will stop the connection by default,so,i had to make the IP of the client connection "trusted" to allow it to the server PC. Initially i made the IP of the connecting PC the trusted address, but it is actually my comapny servers IP that was showing as connecting to my server PC so once i made that the trusted IP problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back