Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tri or quad displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

nychris

MIS
Dec 4, 2004
US
Has anyone ever gotten a tri or quad display going on Linux? I currently have a dual display going on openSuSE 11.0 with two Dell UltraSharp 24"'s and a Nvidia 8800GTS card. I'm thinking about adding one or two more monitors, along with another video card to support them. Before I do this, I want to find out if this has been done on Linux before.

Sure, I've haven't tried myself but I'm certain it's easy enough. You may have to edit your xorg.conf because YaST can't handle more than two monitors. At least I've never found a place to set it.

All devices looked ready to go when viewed with [blue]lspci[/blue], [blue]hwinfo --vbe[/blue] & [blue]dmesg[/blue] while testing the card DVI & VGA outputs.

I don't think there is anything easy about this. Sure, lspci and other utils will show the hardware installed, but getting them to play nicely with one another is another story. I already know that you can't use your PCI video card along with your built in video on the motherboard. You need two PCI cards with dual DVI connectors on each. I also wonder if the cards need to be identical for it to work properly, I doubt it but its a possibility. I have two computers here with dual displays so I can start swapping hardware right now to test, but before I do so I'd like to hear of someone else getting this working so I dont' waste my time.

Thanks for any feedback.

--
Chris
RHCE, SCSA, AIX5L, LPIC, CNE, CCNA, MCSE

I have run two separate video cards with dual ports in one box. I do know that works. However, I never tried hooking up more than two displays.

Another option is to get a quad-head video card (I think nVidia makes one) and use it. I've seen reports that running the nvidia binary driver on a quad-head card does indeed work, running each pair of DVI ports in TwinView mode.

Other than that, I haven't tried it myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back