Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trend over multiple years

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBrand

MIS
Sep 25, 2001
CA
I have a cube that contains data from the last four years. The cube is quite large, and takes about five hours to build. Last year and previous data is closed and so is does not changed, yet I still include it in the build since users want to trend over all the years in a single graph. If I split up the cubes by year, then I only have to build the current year, but I'm not sure that I can trend over the past four years on a single graph. Does anyone know of a way to do a multiple year graph over several cubes?

Did you try incremental build? i.e. Add new data to an existing cube?

Best of my knowledge you CAN'T combine data in different cubes. They are self contained data sets. Only way might be to dump a particular view of the data from one cube through macros, dump the same view of the data from another cube, put all data into a spreadsheet and graph... Not what you are looking for I know...

Alternatively - maybe just use impromptu to create summarized reports that you graph.

We basically told our users..."You can't have all the dimensions you are looking at, get it every day AND have more than 2-3 years worth..and get acceptable response time with no crashing". They allowed us to split the cubes. If they create PPX reports they can use the exact same report and pull it up against the previous years cubes to get essentially the same graphs. Separate pages, but the same graphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back