Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trend Micro VS. Sophos or other giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

bntrong

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2001
US
Trying to decipher which Anti- virus utility is the best for my network....Any reviews on Trend Micro , Sophos, Nortons..

Thanks
Chuck
System Admin

A very open question :) Everyone has their own favourite and you no doubt will get differing answers! So I guess price may be a determining factor. I use Sophos and am very happy with it. I used Norton's a few years ago but didn't like it as much. (It may of course have changed since then). Sophos' support is also very good and the product runs on many OS's. (Very useful if you have Unix, Netware, OS/2 or VMS machines in your environment). People in this forum seem to rate Trend very highly. If I were looking I would check them out too.

I've heard more good thing about Trend Micro than bad (can't say the same thing about Norton). We've used Sophos for so long now that the other companies have been bought and sold several times. IMHO Sophos is solid, fast, and their tech support is second none. We have a mixed environment and Sophos works very well with all of our OS. One of the best things I like is home users are covered by our license agreement.
James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

BTW, there was a review of Sophos, McAfee/Network Associates, Symantec, and F-Secure March 4 at infoworld.com. I don't know if it is still available.

James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Thanks for all the feedback....
Just had Sophos come down for a presentation and their utilities look solid. I guess the real shake down is between Trend Micro and Sophos for us.
Thanks
Chuck

I've worked for a computer vendor before and had the chance to experience many of the antivirus leaders out there. I was very pleased with the Sophos product...their product always seemed to be up to date and relatively easy to implement and use. At my current job we use Norton Corporate Edition on our workstations and servers, and we also run Trend Micro's Scanmail and Interscan Viruswall for our email. I actually like the separation of duties between the two products, one email, one workstation virus protection. Trend has a solid product. Norton is good...sometimes hard to implement...but, I've been pleased with the technical support (my biggest grading factor for software and hardware). Honestly, I'd prefer to have Sophos, but this is what I inherited.

Well I am a mcafee lover, but if you want the best it costs a little more... FatesWebb

if you do what I suggested it is not my fault...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back