Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trend Micro vs. Mcafee 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

teqmod

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
US
We are looking at moving from Mcafee to Trend Micro for a corporate wide Anti-Virus solution. I was wondering if anyone could give me pros-cons of the Trend Micro compared to Mcafee. Are there any major issues I should know about with Trend Micro? I have used the Hijack this quite a bit and that is now owned by Trend Micro but other than that I have no real experience with their Anti-virus suite.

Trend Micro is listed on their links but not anywhere else on the page

Hmmm... I'll take a look, maybe it's sort of hidden in there. I'm sure they've got a full review somewhere...

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Here, they say they have a full review separately, but just not in comparison with the others.

TrendMicro, CA

We just released 2 single product tests of the products of TrendMicro and CA, due high user demand. You can find the reports on in the “Comparatives” section.

Panda will be included in the regular main tests of 2008 and TrendMicro maybe too.

Please note that AV-Comparatives tests only Home User Products with detection rates over 85%.

Here is the link to the most recent individual test or Trend Micro:

I found it at their main page, and then clicked "comparatives" - it was listed in the bottom section of reviews.

--

My workplace has just switched to TrendMicro Client/Server Security Agent for SMB. This has been such a great load off my back and such a helpful tool. So far in a little less then a week of scans (compared to McAfee 8.0) it has found over 600 spyware/virus infections (mostly spyware). This tool also provides information as to Microsoft Updates and vulnerabilities. In all, with my little experience of testing and dealing with the software, I'm loving the switch. Hope that helps your insight.

Please note that AV-Comparatives tests only Home User Products with detection rates over 85%

Cant really see how this information would translate into the workspace....

AVDude... hu? I can't say I follow your thinking there - how does such information NOT translate into the workspace?

--

Home user products are the only ones tested.

I'll guess that it you base your choice solely on virus discovery you´ll be fine. But I would like to count in management, updating, reporting and such in the equation.

If one AV software have 2% more detection than the other does not really matter if the management of the product sux.
ROI and handeling of the product must be looked upon.

I have no idea on how big your enviroment are. I'm managing 7500 nodes with around 12000 users and management is a BIG deal for me.

The original question was "wich is better McAfee or Trend?"
A lot of parameters must be looked upon not just virus/malware discovery.

What type of first line defense do you have? FW, e-mail scanning, IDS, IPS and so on.

So far in my experience no AV vendor can beat McAfee´s ePO.
We went with CA a year ago (wich is not bad) but theres a big chanse that we will go back to McAfee.

Cheers
AVDude

The request was for some sort of comparison between 2 antivirus vendors. The website provided was the closest that I know of.

AVDude, do you know of any source that could provide any relative data for all the details you mentioned?

If so, that would be very relevant to the thread.

--

No. unfortunately I don’t and I don’t even believe that such a site/test exists.
It would be almost impossible to give correct a comparison when it comes to corporate AV (what the thread starter asked about) since every environment differ from the other.

So, back to my original post "Can’t really see how this information would translate into the workspace...."

My advice to teqmod is to get hold of your local Trend rep and ask him/her for some SW to eval. While you’re at it ask about references that are similar to your environment. By all means take a look at home user tests, but don’t base your decision solely on info like that.

Cheers
AVDude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back