Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TreeView problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bujin

MIS
Oct 2, 2000
GB
I'm attempting to add some items to a tree list and it's ****ing complicated and frustrating, so I would be extremely grateful for some assistance! :)

I am attempting to write a new Script Editor utility for the game Operation Flashpoint, and I am using the treeview control to hold the Weapons and Ammunition names in the following format:

EQUIPMENT
--Weapons & Ammunition
..--{Weapon Name}
....--{Ammo Name}
....--{Additional Ammo Name}

Each weapon type will always have at least one Ammo subnode but some may have two. (I hope BI don't add weapons that can use 3 types of ammo, cos then I'm really buggered!)

So far, I have got the weapon and ammo names stored in three arrays and have successfully loaded the Weapon names into the tree list. How the heck do I now load the ammo names in there too? I've been working on it for hours and I'm getting nowhere!!!

The problem that I have is trying to work out in the program which item index I am supposed to be using.

Anyway, here's the code I've got so far:

---
// Create the Tree List
with trvList.Items do
begin
clear;

// Add Root Nodes
add(nil, 'MISSION');
add(nil, 'COMMANDS');
add(nil, 'EQUIPMENT');

// Equipment:
TN := trvList.Items[2];
addchild(TN, 'Weapons & Ammo');
addchild(TN, 'Other');

// Read the Equipment list from the file EQUIPLIST.TXT and add
// to the tree:
TN := trvList.Items[4];
AssignFile(F, 'equiplist.txt');
Reset(F);
while not Eof(F) do
begin
Readln(F, Equip);
addchild(TN, Equip);
end;
CloseFile(F);

// Read the Weapons and Ammunition List from the file WEAPONLIST.TXT.
// Add the Weapons to the treelist and store the weapon name and
// associated ammo to arrays.
TN := trvList.Items[3];
WeapCount := 0;
AmmoCount := 0;
AssignFile(F, 'weaponlist.txt');
Reset(F);
while not eof(F) do
begin
Readln(F, TxtLn);
Weapon := Copy(TxtLn, 1, Pos(',', TxtLn) - 1);
WeapList[WeapCount] := Weapon;
addchild(TN, Weapon);
Ammo := Copy(TxtLn, Pos(',', TxtLn) + 1, Length(TxtLn) - Pos(',', TxtLn));
if Pos('|', Ammo) > 0 then
begin
Ammo2 := Copy(Ammo, Pos('|', Ammo) + 1, Length(Ammo) - Pos('|', Ammo));
Ammo := Copy(Ammo, 1, Pos('|', Ammo) - 1);
AmmoList[WeapCount] := Ammo;
Ammo2List[WeapCount] := Ammo2;
end
else
begin
AmmoList[WeapCount] := Ammo;
Ammo2List[WeapCount] := '';
end;
WeapCount := WeapCount + 1;
end;
CloseFile(F);

[NB - HERE'S WHERE IT STARTS TO GO HORRIBLY WRONG, BUT THIS IS AS CLOSE AS I CAN GET SO FAR!!!]
// Now add the ammunitions to the list.
Ind := 4;
WeapCount := 0;

for I := 1 to 10 do
begin

TN2 := trvList.Items[Ind];
if (Ammo2List[WeapCount] > '') then
begin
addchild(TN2, AmmoList[WeapCount]);
addchild(TN2, Ammo2List[WeapCount]);
AmmoCount := 2;
end
else
begin
addchild(TN2, AmmoList[WeapCount]);
AmmoCount := 1;
end;
WeapCount := WeapCount + 1;
Ind := Ind + WeapCount + AmmoCount;

end;

---

While I await your responses, I am going for a lie down. My head hurts. :)

Thanks

Gareth

Change

if (Ammo2List[WeapCount] > '') then

to

if (Ammo2List[WeapCount] <> '') then

Didn't help. It's the same thing anyway, since the array will only either contain an empty string or some text and some text is greater than no text! :)

I would load the items in at design-time, which would save a lot of hassle, but I want the program to be able to read the items in from a textfile for when the lists change, as they inevitably will in the future.

No, sometext > '' won't evaluate properly.

Have you tried stepping through and seeing where the problem occurs? And what exactly is the problem?

Doesn't matter now. I've found a much easier way around it by creating the text file as a tabbed file and using the TreeView.LoadFromFile() function.

Thanks anyway. However, I do have one small question left:

What is the Delphi version of the Visual Basic DIR() command to get a list of the files in a directory?

I always use &quot;FindFirst&quot;, and related functions from the SysUtils unit. Have a look in the help file for details on how to use it.

Just a note: When you get a list of files, I think you will always get back '.' and '..' as well (the current and parent directories), so check that you're working with a file, and not a directory.

I always use &quot;FindFirst&quot;, and related functions from the SysUtils unit. Have a look in the help file for details on how to use it.

Just a note: When you get a list of files, I think you will always get back '.' and '..' as well (the current and parent directories), so check that you're working with a file, and not a directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back