Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tree structured Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

macr0

Programmer
Jan 29, 2000
US
Does anyone know the best way to create a tree like web site? For exampe: Amazon.com Like<br><br>Books &gt; Horror &gt; Authors, A-Z &gt; ( K ) &gt; King, Stephen &gt; Riding the Bullet <br><br>and being able to click the subheadings back up to the main page? <br><br>I have been able to create links to the default.asp for each section using virtual directories and some string manipulation. However, I am having problems creating the &quot;header titles.&quot; One option I have went over is using FSO and textstream objects to search each page for the &lt;title&gt;Books&lt;/title&gt; or a special comment to get the thing to display. However, the overhead is huge and it would not work as a scalable solution. I cannot install custom components on my server unfortunately.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a way to do this using a database without having some special mechanism to add new files into the right place? This is a pretty hard problem for me. Any ideas at ALL would be helpful.<br><br>Thanks<br>JLowery

You need to add them as Hyperlinks, which need to uniquely identify the item. Use the Querystring items to stuff this information into. This could be a single Unique ID, so you can go and identify the item in the database, or a collection of values that help navigate.<br><br>Each table will need to be able to Identify it's parent link as well...<br><br>Structurely it's a pain in the rear, and Administration will be an absolute nightmare unless you get it just right.<br><br>Paging - like at the bottom of the main page in this forum, is really easy. Pass the querystring item of &CurrPage=1 etc... that way you can consult the database for item 1-25.<br>(assuming you want 25 items returned) if it's &CurrPage=3 you know you need to get items 75-100... therefore build next/previous items to include the &CurrPage=4/&CurrPage=3<br><br>Of course you should check that there is enough information to go upto that level before you offer the next/previous buttons! <p>Ben Marshalsea<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back