Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tray icons not all displaying any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rreinman

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
Win XP Pro running many programs in the back round, I slowly loose the running icons in the system tray. Sometimes when I perform a system restore, they come back for awhile. I noticed in the: (rt. click properties > Customize > current and past items, the past item list keeps growing and growing. I think the list gets corrupt because of a long past item list. Is this correct, and how can I clear the past item list, or correct the icons to always appear in the tray. I used the power toys for xp tool: repair icons to no avail.

Thank you very much.
Bob

When you bring up the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" window, do you have the "Hide inactive icons" box checked?

All great accomplishments were once considered impossible.

279771 - Description of Notification Area Settings

321213 - Icons in the Notification Area May Disappear If You Use High-Contrast Color Themes

As you are aware many programs have property pages (often obtained via a right click on an icon) that allows removal of the icon from Taskbar Notification Area.

How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area

Taskbar Icons
thread779-821607

I had this a couple of months ago. Bcastner gave me the solution (had to remove all the icons in registry or something). Do a search for "Icons" in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back