Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Travel time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
Had a consulting business up north, didn't have any problems. Town was big enough, if I had to travel more than 30 miles, I would charge travel time. Now, we have a great house in a town about the size of Mayberry, RFD, and we love it. Problem is I'm starting the business up again, and it's about 25 miles to the closest town of any size. Should I change the travel distance to 50 miles? How does anybody else address this issue? (FYI, I work on a floating pay scale. If I work for a major corporation, I charge more than if it's for a senior citizen on social security.) Thanks.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum

Mayberry, RFD

So you're now just north of Greensboro, NC?
:)

Yes, I would bump your travel boundary upwards. It's one of the downsides of living in a rural area. Hope you're not leasing your car (I put 21k on last year with a 64 mile round-trip commute - one guy at the office has a 120 miler!)

Chip H.

i would suggest charging travel time over and above a set amount, by the hour. then bill by the hour once you reach that amount of time in transit. many firms charge travel time from the last site to the next, as the firm i work for does.

many charge a service order charge just for arriving, and processing the order. it helps to keep your rates lower for competitive comparison purposes with other firms. i would however not charge both a service order charge, and travel time, unless it is excessive.

i have customers that i support their corp offices, and they pay me my straight rate for traveling 4 hours to their other locations. if you are good, they will pay.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

You can charge what you like, as long as you're competitive in the local market. I used to charge 50% for travel time regardless of distance (or one-way travel, depending on how you look at it).

You could also charge a base service fee, or perhaps set a minimum charge.

I charge 50% of travel time. It is a good middle-ground. Of course, I would also recommend against a floating billable scale. I would never recommend residential work - it devalues your time. You are better served taking that time to land larger small businesses and getting your rate and more regular work, etc.

On the other hand, if you wish to help seniors (particularly lower-fixed income) with their technology issues, do so as a public service/pro-bono.

Just a thought.

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

The other side of the coin.... I have a good full time job, but enough experience where I don't want it to go to waste, so the consulting business is in my spare time and weekends. Thanks for the input.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back