Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trashing data from table or repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorex

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2003
BE
Hello,

I'm having a program here which uses paradox files to store its data.

With the repair tool the developers installed years ago
(Paradox tables and repair utility 4.11)
I can see that 1 table has some corrupt table headers and other things, although it always has been there even after the rebuild the application kept starting up.

this is what the tool spits out...

Table Verkocht.DB - Header size (2048) + data size (6428672) does not equal filesize (6443008) Difference: 12288 bytes
Index Verkocht.PX - BTree record number mismatch from block (1) record(7) to block (8)
Table Verkocht.DB - Unreparable errors encountered. Restore from backup

When I restore that table from a backup the person who uses it can add about 5-10 items and then the application freezes again and when you close the tool via the task manager and restart it it just hangs in the background with 80-95% CPU usage.

Can it be that we reached some kind of table record limit and that it freezes when creating a new record?

Are there any tools to alter the records? like trashing those from 2004-end of 2007 which are not really required anymore.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi,

You could query out the old records to a safe table, and then delete those same records from the table using the same query. When you do this repair the table afterwards.

Also try copying the table to a new table, rename the oringinal, to keep it. Then create a new blank table with the same structure and add the data to the new table.

DO NOT copy the table to make your blank one; otherwise you will likely copy the corruption as well. Don't even BORROW the structure.

Create the new table manually. How you do that depends on the tools you have available. Standalone Table Repair 4.11 it sounds like? I don't have that, so you are on your own unless TaylorMade is familiar with it.

But first go into the BDE Administrator in Control Panel and change the BLOCK SIZE for Paradox tables to the 16k (16384) option.

From the OP's (Sorex's) verbage, I take it you don't use Paradox the application so I have no way to suggest how to delete records; you'll have to figure that out with the program you are using. Again, not enough information to go on.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time; we have the rest of our lives. It's about priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back