Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trashed grub with Windoze!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredf

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
CA
Hello all

Well, yesterday started out as such a happy day. ATI released new Linux drivers that enabled OpenGL on the Radeon 8500. Finally, I could at least try and get a little further with UT2003. glxgears used to report 200-230fps, and it went up to 2500+fps!!! Wonderful! So, pop the UT2003 CD in and start the install. Hmmm, 2.5GB, and I don't have it. No worries! I'll boot back into Win2K and delete my M: drive, used it as a scratch drive for vid capture. So, boot in, do that, reboot and, guess what

grub>

Hmm. No idea, pull out the notebook, Google away, and get so far as to get grub reinstalled. Grub comes up now, the splash screen is gone, I cannot boot Linux, but of all things, Win2K boots. Here is the error I get booting Linux

Booting Redhat Linux 2.4.18-17.8.0

root (hd1,2)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xf
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-17.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

I can boot with the CD and get into rescue mode and get my system mounted under /mnt/sysimage (do I have a fully functional system after I do the chroot? Seems mostly, haven't tried X tho). Everything looks like it's there. fdisk -l reports

Device Boot ID System
/dev/hda1 * c Win95 FAT32

Device Boot ID System
/dev/hdb1 7 NTFS
/dev/hdb2 * 83 Linux
/dev/hdb3 f Win95 Extd
/dev/hdb5 83 Linux
/dev/hdb6 82 Linux swap

and here is grub.conf

title Redhat 2.4.18-17.8.0
root (hd1,2)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-17.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.18-17.8.0.img

title DOS
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader+1

I actually also have another kernel option from the original install, but I didn't include to try and make this shorter. Suffice to say it does the same thing.

I'm pretty sure I can get this back, just not exactly sure how. I don't have a boot disk because I don't have a floppy. I guess I could put one in, but I think I can get this without it.

Any help muchly appreciated.

Have you tried fdisking your / partition and ensuring the filesystem type is correct? I would do fdisk /dev/hdb2 and then choose option 't' pick number 82 (I think that's the one for Linux), make sure the filesystem type is ext2fs (or ext3fs if that's what you use). Write that configuration and reboot and see if that fixes the problem. An infinite number of monkey typing at an infinite number of keyboards will eventually populate the internet.

I had problem booting Linux with grub before, but I don't think my problem was as complicated as this. What i did was locate the partition and executed the boot command manually.

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1

boot

That got my Linux to boot manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back