Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trapping SQL Server Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manch

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
I have a .Net 2003 WinForms application. I have a form that uses a SQLDataAdapter along with a Stored procedure to make inserts to a table in my SQL Server 2000 database. The table has an Instead Of Trigger for Inserts that checks a business rule and either raises an error or makes the insert using the data in the Inserted table.

When the error is raised in the Trigger, it is not picked up by the SQlDataAdapter. My application procedes like the insert was made, but in actuality the server raised the error and the insert is not made. I also tried placing data in the insert that would pass the business rule but would cause a foreign key constraint violation. In this case the Trigger procedes with the insert using the data in the Inserted table but the insert fails and a foreign key contraint error is raised, but again my DataAdapter does not pick up this error and my application procedes as if the insert was made, even though it was not.

Does anyone know of a way to configure the DataAdapter so it will pick up errors either raiesed in a trigger or generated during the execution of a SQL statement in a trigger? The trigger is working fine and I have verified this by entering data directly into my SQL Table, in which case the errors are generated and displayed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my trigger code:
Code:
ALTER Trigger trgHouseholdPrimaryCheck
ON tblHousehold
Instead of Insert
As

Declare @Relation varchar(20)
Declare @CaseId integer

Set @Relation = (Select Household_Relationship From Inserted)
Set @CaseId = (Select Household_CaseId From Inserted)

Select Household_Id From tblHousehold Where Household_CaseId = @CaseId And Household_Relationship
= 'Primary Client'

If @@Rowcount > 0 And @Relation = 'Primary Client'
	Begin
		RAISERROR(50001,16,1)
	end
Else
INSERT INTO [CaseManagement].[dbo].[tblHousehold]([Household_CaseId], [Household_Active], 
[Household_FirstName], [Household_LastName], [Household_MiddleName], [Household_SuffixName], 
[Household_Relationship], [Household_HomePhone], [Household_WorkPhone], [Household_ContactPhone], 
[Household_CellPhone], [Household_DateAdded], [Household_InactiveDate], [Household_MailStreetPo], 
[Household_MailAptNum], [Household_MailCity], [Household_MailState], [Household_MailZip], [Household_SSN], 
[Household_SecureRoom], [Household_FraudRisk], [Household_EmploymentTraining], [Household_WorkRestrictions], 
[Household_WorkLimitations], [Household_MaritalStatus], [Household_DOB], [Household_School], 
[Household_Grade], [Household_Felony], [Household_FelonyDetails], [Household_ParoleProbation], 
[Household_ParoleProbationOfficer], [Household_ParoleProbationAddress], [Household_ParoleProbationCity], 
[Household_ParoleProbationState], [Household_ParoleProbationZip], [Household_ParoleProbationDetails], 
[Household_BranchofMilitary], [Household_RankAtDischarge], [Household_MilitaryStartDate], 
[Household_MilitaryEndDate], [Household_DischargeType], [Household_Comments], [Household_UpdatedBy], 
[Household_UpdatedOn], [Household_CreatedBy], [Household_CreatedOn])SELECT [Household_CaseId],
 [Household_Active], [Household_FirstName], [Household_LastName], [Household_MiddleName], 
 [Household_SuffixName], [Household_Relationship], [Household_HomePhone], [Household_WorkPhone], 
 [Household_ContactPhone], [Household_CellPhone], [Household_DateAdded], [Household_InactiveDate], 
 [Household_MailStreetPo], [Household_MailAptNum], [Household_MailCity], [Household_MailState], 
 [Household_MailZip], [Household_SSN], [Household_SecureRoom], [Household_FraudRisk], 
 [Household_EmploymentTraining], [Household_WorkRestrictions], [Household_WorkLimitations], 
 [Household_MaritalStatus], [Household_DOB], [Household_School], [Household_Grade], [Household_Felony], 
 [Household_FelonyDetails], [Household_ParoleProbation], [Household_ParoleProbationOfficer], 
 [Household_ParoleProbationAddress], [Household_ParoleProbationCity], [Household_ParoleProbationState], 
 [Household_ParoleProbationZip], [Household_ParoleProbationDetails], [Household_BranchofMilitary], 
 [Household_RankAtDischarge], [Household_MilitaryStartDate], [Household_MilitaryEndDate], 
 [Household_DischargeType], [Household_Comments], [Household_UpdatedBy], [Household_UpdatedOn], 
 [Household_CreatedBy], [Household_CreatedOn] FROM Inserted

All parameters and other properties of the DataAdapter have been set in desing mode. I removed the try-catch block that was trapping for a SQLException to see if that was the problem. Even without the try-catch no unhandled errors occur. Here is my update code:
Code:
Private Sub UpdateDataSet()
Dim dtChangesHousehold As dsHouseholdView.tblHouseholdDataTable = New dsHouseholdView.tblHouseholdDataTable

Me.BindingContext(Me.DsHouseholdView1.tblHousehold).EndCurrentEdit()
dtChangesHousehold = CType(DsHouseholdView1.Tables("tblHousehold").GetChanges(DataRowState.Added Or DataRowState.Modified),dsHouseholdView.tblHouseholdDataTable)

If (Not (dtChangesHousehold) Is Nothing) Then

SqlDataAdapterHousehold.UpdateCommand.Connection = cnn
SqlDataAdapterHousehold.InsertCommand.Connection = cnn
SqlDataAdapterHousehold.Update(dtChangesHousehold)
DsHouseholdView1.Merge(dtChangesHousehold)
DsHouseholdView1.AcceptChanges()
MessageBox.Show("Your updates have been successfuly submitted to the database!", "Database Update Successful!")

Else
MessageBox.Show("There are no updates to the Case data to submit!")
Exit Sub

End If
End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back