Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trappable error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianB

Programmer
Oct 2, 2000
US
Hi folks
I have an IIS 5 application that connects to a MS SQL server running on a second box. We are getting errors opening an ADODB connection on this box about once every two hours.

The log entry is:

Error: Script Engine Exception. A ScriptEngine threw expection 'C0000005' in 'IActiveScript::SetScriptState()' from 'CActiveScriptEngine::ResetToUninitialized()'..
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at:
Of course, there is almost nothing about this in the kb or msdn. This error first occurs on an open adodb.connection command, but once that has happened, it seems to occur on any Server.CreateObject statement.

This is a Win2K IIS5 box, SP2 installed, with terminal server and Veritas Backup installed.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Hi Brian,

You are absolutly right about the 'not finding any info' anywhere.
I'm having the same error in a simulair setup, the only thing I could find was that it's a COM component which is hanging itself up. If you stop and start the COM+ enginge, the webserver seems to come up again.

There is a hot-fix available for this at microsoft.

Good luck.. ;)

We never figured out the cause, but we made it go away by pulling Terminal Server from the box. What was the hotfix?

-Brian

We are having this exact same problem 5 or 6 times a day and cannot isolate the problem, can you direct me to the hotfix that was referenced above please? I am desperate to fix this problem.

This problem is really annoying. I have had it for a while now and haven't given it much attention until now. It's starting to occure more frequently. I have narrowed it down to an ASP package I'm running on my IIS server. I would really like to know how to fix the problem.

We have also had this same error now for almost a month, and it's really getting to me that Microsoft seem to have NOTHING specific about it. We're running also IIS5 on win2000 Advanced Server, SP2 and the site also uses a 3rd party activeX. We migrated our site from a development server to production, and the errors started. Some of us think it may be the actual ASP code causing it, as it does mostly seem to occur on the Server.CreateObject call - but it seems impossible to replicate this. I have tried so far setting the DB connections in the global.asa file at application level so that the connections are always open, but not yet sure if this is having any effect. Will watch this page with bated breath..

We have also had this same error now for almost a month, and it's really getting to me that Microsoft seem to have NOTHING specific about it. We're running also IIS5 on win2000 Advanced Server, SP2 and the site also uses a 3rd party activeX. We migrated our site from a development server to production, and the errors started. Some of us think it may be the actual ASP code causing it, as it does mostly seem to occur on the Server.CreateObject call - but it seems impossible to replicate this. I have tried so far setting the DB connections in the global.asa file at application level so that the connections are always open, but not yet sure if this is having any effect. Will watch this page with bated breath..

We are experiencing the same problem. We have a script that automatically downloads the our sites primary page every 5 minutes and if it fails to open it restarts that com component. I had recently installed Microsofts Com+ roleup before this issue started to appear. Has anyone figured out the problem yet?

Hi People,
I hesitate to say we have a solution - but we had this problem consistently for weeks and now its hasn't appeared for 10 days. Microsoft have a tool called VBCHKW2K, looks for running DLL's and checks to see if 'retain in memory' is set. With the introduction of COM+, DLL's can now be unloaded at inoportune moments - which may be the cause of the problem we're all seeing. Solution is to recompile your DLLs, with 'Unattended Execution' and 'Retain in Memory' both set. Problem if you're DLLs have msgboxs or forms - you'll have to change your app - ours used this for debug which was real pain to change.

Try this link for the download :-

Cheers

Ian

Can anybody tell me which fix worked - the fix for Q313582 or the re-compile as per Q286036?

thanks

Pat

compile your all your DLL's with 'Retain in Memory' and 'Unattended Execution' will definitely do it. Trust me

Compiling all your DLL's with 'Retain in Memory' and 'Unattended Execution' checked will definitely fix the problem

Phillip Dang
Houston, Texas

I've been experiencing this problem too, and why I was trying to diagnose it discovered a bug in my code.

I've been using VBScript classes in the ASP application and have 'option explicit' on as default. I use Class_Terminate as a matter of course to tidy up when I've finished with an instance of a VBScript object.

I've discovered that if an error occurs in the Class_Terminate method of a class (in my case an undeclared variable) the error will not be reported and the 'IActiveScript::Close()' error occurs. My appliction continues to work though, however after a few runs it too stops responding.

Tip: If you're using Class_Terminate and this error occurs then it's probably worth tracing into this code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back