Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trap sending

Status
Not open for further replies.

123viva

Programmer
Jan 31, 2012
hi,
I have a question please,why in many applications I see an option that can send trap what is the utility of doing that?,we can just receive traps from the network,is it important to any application that is able to receive trap? and thanks.

Traps are sent from SNMP agents to a SNMP manager to tell it some information.

i.e. A host might send a trap to a manager if the processor load was over 90% or something like this.

This is so the manager doesn't have to poll the agent every 20 secs for the processor load.

ok thanks bnorton916 very well

Hello I am new to the forum, I'd like information on receiving a snmp trap to monitor a HP BLADE C7000.
I want to know how to help monitor the power supplies but are unable to do so, I do not know what to do, does anyone know tell me a guide?
thanks

ivanaccio,

You should start a new thread.

You will need 2 to do two things.

1. Get some type of trap receiver, you can get a basic one from net-snmp for free. I think it is called snmptrapd. And then run it.

2. Configure the snmp agent on the HP blade to send trap to the ip address where your snmptrapd is running

This is just for listening to data the HP blade sends out via traps.

To just do a snmpwalk, get the net-snmp tools and perform a walk on the entire device.
There are better tutorials on the web then I can give for how to do this.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back