Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transprent Tunneling ? URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiiiss

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
AT
HI !

It´s really urgent and I don´t get it. I have a PIX 515E with IOX 6.2 and vpn-client 3.5 I wnat to connect over VPN ... no problem .. but now I need to enable transparent tunneling... when I enable it on the VPN client and connect, the client says that it is inactive ... What do I have to do to enable it .. do I have to enable it on the PIX ? I don´t think so but I don´t know...

Please help

Thanks

HI

Thanks for the response... I have a router with several workstations going out to the internet via PAT ( one single IP for 3 workstations) and when I try to connect to the PIX over VPN it´s no problem until I try to connect another workstation behind the router to the pix over VPN ....

But I´ll try another solution and use a cisco router with IPsec instead..

Thanks

I have two pix 515 FW, and I created a tunnel between the 2 FW. The tunnel come up and work ok, but if the equipment and application/applications are idle the tunnel will shutdown which means I have to restart the equipment and the application all the time.

I know the tunnel is doing its job, but is there any way to have the tunnel up all the times.

Hi iiiiss,

If you upgrade you pix software to version 6.3(1) you can enable transparant tunneling.

I have tested here and it works fine..

Transparant tunneling is not enabled by default. You can
enable it with: isakmp nat-traversal 60

Regards,

Bastiaan van Utrecht
Shimano Europe

Hi bas,
I have upgraded our pix to 6.3(1)
and I enable isakmp nat-transversal
however when I connect to our pix with vpn 4
the status is still showing that

"transparent tunneling inactive"

How can I do.

Thanks

Hi EdenXia,

Transparant tunneling will only be active when needed.
(automatic handshaking with client and Pix)

So if you are behind e.g. a NAPT router, transparant tunneling will be active.

Note: I use client version 3.6.3

Regards,

Bastiaan van Utrecht

Hi Bastiaan,

Thanks for your reply.
You are right when I use VPN behind a NAT router, the "transparent tunneling" function is acitve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back