Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transpose data with TransferSpreadsheet or OutputTo commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallunarCrew

Programmer
Sep 3, 2006
US
I am trying to output data from a table using either TransferSpreadsheet ot OutputTo. I have coded it with both methods and both work fine. I need to transpose the data during this spreadsheet creation. I have searched on the net and found code that I think might do it at bytes.com, searching for "transferspreadsheet transpose" but the article will not open - it forces my browser to close. Any ideas on how to code this transpose? I am working in Access 2007.

By transpose, do you mean a "crosstab", the Access term for a pivot table?

I think that is the right term. By default, it puts the column headers across the top of the spreadsheet and the data below each column header. I want the column headers to be down Column A instead of across Row 1. Just the same as if (in Excel) I copy and Paste Special and select Transpose.

table name: ManagementData
fields: (there are about 50 so I will only list a few)
OV - integer
NP - integer
Pct Per PT - double - percent format
Actual Collections - double - currency

There is no primary key on the table. I have spaces in the field names so that it will look good on the output. TransferSpreadsheet ignores captions added to columns in a table. I do not know if OutputTo also ignores them - did not try since I have it working like this.
I have code that gathers these pieces of data and puts it into a table to be output to Excel.
This is run for a date range specified by the user and the table is cleared out each time so there is only one record in the table at a time. A simple output of the table looks like this:

OV NP Pct Per Pt Actual Collections
20 5 69.2% $100.00

What we want is:
OV 20
NP 5
Pct Per Pt 69.2%
Actual Collections $100.00

I did find that using OutputTo rather than TransferSpreadsheet does the formatting (dollar sign, percent sign, etc) very nicely.

I expect you can use a union query like:
Code:
SELECT "OV" as TheWhat, [OV] as TheValue
FROM ManagementData
UNION ALL
SELECT "NP", [NP]
FROM ManagementData
UNION ALL
SELECT "Pct Per Pt", [Pct Per Pt]
FROM ManagementData
UNION ALL
--- etc ---
I never name my fields based on what I want users to see. If I want to export some records, I will use a query where I can alias the actual field name with some other title.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks for this reply. I have not had a chance to see if this will work for us yet but intend to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back