Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparent Richtextbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

codecref

Programmer
Dec 8, 2003
US
Hi guys
I have this richtextbox transparent over a Picturebox which the Picutrebox is a container for a Video playback using ActiveMovie.
Richtextbox is actually suppose to show Subtitle over it. but the problem is that (in some case only) after I change the text, the old text will remain while new text is drawing, I suppose it has something to do with autoredraw which we don't have it in .net , any help about this?

This is how I made it transparent:

Code:
    Private Declare Function GetWindowLong Lib "user32.dll" Alias "GetWindowLongA" _
                        (ByVal hwnd As Integer, ByVal nIndex As Integer) As Integer
    Private Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32.dll" Alias "SetWindowLongA" _
                        (ByVal hwnd As Integer, ByVal nIndex As Integer, ByVal dwNewLong As Integer) As Integer
    Private Const GWL_EXSTYLE As Integer = -20
    Private Const WS_EX_TRANSPARENT As Integer = &H20&
    Private Const HWND_TOP As Integer = 0

Private Sub Preview_Load(ByVal eventSender As System.Object, ByVal eventArgs As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim x As Integer = GetWindowLong(SubLayer.Handle.ToInt32, GWL_EXSTYLE)
        x = x Or WS_EX_TRANSPARENT
        SetWindowLong(SubLayer.Handle.ToInt32, GWL_EXSTYLE, x)
        SubLayer.BringToFront()
End Sub

Any help is highly appreciated

Richtextbox doesn't support transparent in .NET. Maybe this is the reason you don't see it well. Why not using a label control and set the back color to transparent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back