Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparent iframes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindon

Programmer
Apr 19, 2001
US
I have been searching for a way to make an iframe transparent. I have found several examples. However, none of them work. According to documentation this should work on IE 5.5+. I am running IE 5.5 and am having no luck.

This is what I am doing (according to MSDN here
This is the page that contains the iframe
<HTML><BODY>
<IFRAME NAME=&quot;Frame1&quot; SRC=&quot;frame.html&quot; ALLOWTRANSPARENCY=&quot;true&quot;>
</IFRAME>
</BODY></HTML>

This is the iframe src frame.html
<HTML>
<BODY STYLE=&quot;background-color:transparent&quot;>
<P>Transparent.
</BODY>
</HTML>

Am I the only one screwed up or does this not work for all?
That is what I found for transparent backgrounds. I really want a semi-transparent background. The treatment was the same, but with a css filter. It, too, did not work.

Any ideas?

BODY STYLE=&quot;background-color:transparent&quot;

Add the body style info in the header under CS style sheet styles... see what happens.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

This is not working either. Does this work for you?

Here is the new code with body style set in the header:

index.html
<html>
<body background=&quot;<iframe name=&quot;Frame1&quot; src=&quot;insideIframe.html&quot; allowtransparency=&quot;true&quot;></iframe>
</body>
</html>

Here is the frame src frame.html
<html>
<head>
<style type=&quot;text/css&quot;>
body {background-color:transparent}
</style>
</head>
<body>
Transparent???
</body>
</html>

Can you post a link so I can see what is happening? The code should work in IE 5.5 and Netscape 6.+ browsers.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I tried the example you first posted in IE 6 and it worked just fine.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

But, I think I found the problem. When you said it worked for you on IE 5.5, I decided something must be wrong with my machine. In searching, I found that I am running only IE 5!!! What is wrong with me....

Thanks. I will let you know if I still have problems after upgrading.

[yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back