Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transparent backgrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

htguy

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
I have a brochure that I scanned and saved as a .psp image. I then selected a small portion of that image cand copied it as a new image. I need to be able to take that small selection and paste it into another image I am creating with multiple layers. However I need the white background of this small selecion to be invisible once I paste it to the new image.

Using pspX. How do I do this?

Thanks D.

If you don't want the background then don't copy the background.

You can use the lasso tool to create a tight selection around the portion you do want while leaving the white background out.

Of course it would have been easier if you had set your new image to be transparent from the get go. That way the portion you copied from the original image would have been pasted onto a transparent background.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

The small image that I am trying to paste to the new larger image is very complex and extremely difficult to use the lasso tool (from what this newbie knows of the lasso tool at least).

I am not sure I understand why setting the new larger image to be transparent from the out set would help me elliminate the white background from a small image I am trying to add to the larger image??

D.

If its too complex to lasso, then you can try to use the Magic Wand.

Click on the white areas to select them, and then invert the selection to get the area you want.

Play around with the tolerance value until you get a tight enough selection to what you want to copy then go ahead and invert the selection.

Alternatively you could try to use the eraser tool, to erase the white areas of the image. But I think that may be a little harder, as it might erase some white areas you may want to keep.

As for the transparency setting, never mind, I think I misunderstood, how you had created the secondary image you want to copy to your final image.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

the magic wand suggestion did what I needed. Thanks for the help.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back