Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transparent background images -> printing and color problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

arimoore

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm using InDesign 2.0.2 on a Mac running OS X 10.2.6. I'm printing on a Xerox 7700.

When I put any image (PSD, EPS, TIFF, GIF, etc.) with a transparent background in any InDesign file, something odd happens. If I'm working in RGB, all colors suddenly turn to CMYK, even if the linked image is also RGB. If I'm working in CMYK and the image is CMYK, there appears to be no change. However, in either case, when I print, the transparent background area of the image comes out as a slightly darker version of whatever is behind the image. If it's on top of a grey area for example, the transparent background area will appear as a darker grey box on top of the larger grey area.

I hope I've explained this clearly... I'd much appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thanks!

The CMYK issue is that most printers print in cmyk, not RGB. RGB is mainly used for web work and other specific applications. I don't know how much difference there will be but there is an option in the print dialog box under "Output" that gives you a choice of Composite RGB instead of Composite CMYK. You could try that to see if you get the results you are looking for. As far as the images go, are you saying that you are getting a darker box that is the size of the image box? If so, I would suggest you silo the image instead of trying to make a transparent background. I don't think it will work that way. If I'm not understanding you, can you take a screenshot of it?

Thanks for your reply. The darker box is indeed the exact size of the image box. I'd take a screenshot, but it's invisible until I print!

... What does "silo" mean?

most printers print in cmyk - - that would really be all printers. No one can print with RGB.

For further reading, search the adobe.com site for RGB vs. CMYK explanations. You should not be attempting to print RGB images with transparency effects. You've discovered the result.

Transparency in InDesign 2 requires that images are of the same color mode. You should not mix RGB/CMYK/Spots when applying transparency effects.

You may also experience these transparency color shifts if your printer does not support these advanced transparency effects or if InDesign has not flattened the transparencies before sending the data to the printer.

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

To silo an image is to silhouette, (cut away the background) so that just the object appears. This is done in photoshop. You create a path using the pen tool, save said path and make it a clipping path. Then save the image as an eps format. When you import into InDesign, you will only see the object, no backgrounds. If you need some help doing this, I would be happy to help. If you are interested, send me your email or I can send you mine and we can deal that way.

Just a sidenote, when I said Printer I meant machine, not printing press. I know presses are just CMYK. My partner has been in the printing business for over 25 years, I asked him about it. Our company prints over 25 million circulars a week. I don't know everything, but that much I do know, <grin>

Ivixen: you can use psd alpha channel as clipping path in ID as well, and just place the psd file in your document :)

eps shouldnt be neccesary (spelling?) when working with ID.

best regards

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

Thank you Kim, but we don't use alpha channels when processing our images. We color correct to match our Printers specs, silo and make a full size jpg of the original file for back up then put the eps in our server. We've been doing it that way since we were in Quirk..um I mean Quark.

Lvixen

lvixen (TechnicalUser) Aug 27, 2003 wrote:
&quot;You create a path using the pen tool, save said path and make it a clipping path. Then save the image as an eps format.&quot;

THANK YOU! you have no idea how relieved and amazed i was when this solution worked perfectly. i've been trying to solve this problem for ages and thought i'd never figure it out. many thanks for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back