Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transmite a voice(like *.wav) through modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
May 14, 2002
TW
If 2 modems were connected in voice mode,
I'd like transmite a voice(like *.wav) to another side.
And meanwhile, another side could receive a voice(*.wav) to be a file in local side.
How to command modem ?
It is urgent!

Dear sir,
I am now researching the modem application.
I had read all in AT commands for RCV56ACX.
and curious in telephone auto-answer system.
When the system was being dialed in, the system will play a voice
(greetings messages), and waiting for people's message leaving.
But, how does it do??
In the programing side,how to play a greeting message through modem?
And how to record a message from the other said?
Could you please tell me some source code in this issue?
OR tell me in details what AT commands should be instruct.
Thanks for your help.
And your early reply will be highly appreciated.

David

You want to be looking at the Voice commands for your modem. I have listings for some of the more popular brands, like Rockwell chipsets.

Try issuing AT#cls=?

If you get a response, like 0,1,2.0,8 then you have an older Rockwell command set. If you get an ERROR, then try AT+fclass=?

If you get a response like 0,1,2,8.0 then you have a newer Rockwell command set. Let me know which you are getting, and I will forward the correct manual.

The important information is the mode 8 commands. If you support mode 8, it is an older command set. If you support 8.0 it is a newer one.

Mode 0 is data, mode 1 is fax, mode 2 is a newer fax mode and mode 2.0 is the newest. Different command sets for each of the above.

pansophic

thats exactly the prob i'm facing...how to play .wav files over the modem??? if u guys get any solution do take little efforts to mail me at
saurabh915@yahoo.com
cya

Hi pansophic

I'm a VB and Access programmer.
I've already used mscomm control so i know how it works.
Now i'm working on a very difficult project.
I have some voice files in a folder.I want to make a call to telephone numbers that are stored in a database,and when the receiver answers to the call will hear the voice file that is a question.He can answer to the question just
pressing a keybutton on telephone, and i want to receive that keybutton code to my pc.
I've seen many of your replies and i believe you can help me.Maybe you can send me a list of AT commands if you have.
Modem's answer for AT+fclass=? is 0,1,2,8
My email:rasmanik@otenet.gr

I am trying to learn how to do similar things... would it not be easier to use TAPI? GNIKOL, how are you sending AT commands to the modem from VB? (My background is similar to yours)

Matt

grnfvr,

You can use TAPI, but every time that I have looked at it, the "experts" say not to use it. It is an evolving standard, and requires the use of API calls and callback procedures to do anything other than dial a phone number.

You can send data to and from your modem using the MSComm control. You just need to add the control to your form (it is even available in VBA). You send data using the MSComm1.Output = string command, and you receive data using string = MSComm1.Input. Theoretically, you could use a byte or character array rather than a string, but few VB programmers seem to be familiar with the concept.

pansophic

Thanks for your quick and helpful response. So you can accomplish voice over modem using the mscomm control and AT commands? And if you wanted to do voice over IP, would you have to use TAPI or is there an alternative?

Thanks again,
Matt

I assume that you are using VB 5 or 6, and not .NET? Microsoft chose not to supply the MSComm control in .NET. You have to grab a third party control in .NET. There are a few people out there who have encapsulated the MSComm control in a new ActiveX control that is not licensed. MS is OK with this from what I hear.

If you wanted to do VoIP, you would need to use the Winsock control, rather than the MSComm control. The Winsock control allows you to create and destroy sockets (IP address + port) on the computer.

I'm not certain how you would grab the audio for VoIP though. Also, you would need to research the RTP (Real-time Transport Protocol) and RTCP (Real-time Transport Control Protocol) protocols and figure out how to implement those if you wanted to be compatible with H.323 or SIP. There is also the issue of building the encoders and decoders (like G.723, G.729, G.728, etc.). I haven't seen routines for VB or MS in general for any of them. But then again, I haven't looked.

You might be able to get pointers by looking at the Open H.323 project. You'll have to wade through C and C++ source, but I find that the open-source software community is generally a very good place to start.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back