Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transitioning up

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstoppel

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2004
US
I have an opportunity to work for a promotion to a more senior level, which would mean taking my hands from the keyboards and working on strategic IT initiatives and planning for organizational growth.

What training/skills/certifications will serve me best at this level? Further training in technology-specific things like renewing my MCSE, CCNA, etc. will probably pin me in my current position more strongly. I am of the age and experience level that I should be moving up or out.

Project Management training/certification might be worth looking into, as would obtaining an MBA if you don't currently have one. I would ask your boss or new boss what their opinion is. I'm sure he/she would be impressed by your initiative.

I agree that an MBA would be a good idea, although a good balanced MS (technology, budget, strategy, business) would also serve you well.

PMP (project management) would be another good (shorter time to get) certification if you will be working on projects, planning, strategy.

Once you take your hands off the keyboard from a technical perspective, it's a matter of looking at business-related certificaitons / degrees as they are what will get you further in the next step of your career.

Hopefully your boss will be willing to have this open communciation with you and give some advice and/or help.

Good luck (I'll be right there with you in the next 5 or so years).

------------------------------------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
- Bill Gates, 1981

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back