Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transforming DB data to XML

Status
Not open for further replies.

camillaj

Programmer
Sep 18, 2003
AU
Is it possible to transform Access data to XML and then use XSL to read that data again using ASP? I have done this using ASP.NET, but this time I have to use ASP where I'm not that experienced.

The thing is that I'm trying to read some DB data and write it out to an Excel file (or tab separated). I have found a way to write to Excel, but I can't format the data the way I can with XSLT. I used
Set objFileSystemObject = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") and created a csv file...

Can I use XML and XSLT with ASP or is there another way that might work..?

Thanks for your help on this :(|)

Hi Camillaj

There is a quite a bit to learn about that but i can get you started by pointing to this object

Set objDocument = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.3.0")

if you read up on MSXML I'm sure you can accomplish what you're doing. I hope so because I just managed to go from XML to DB and I'm about to build my own DB to XML. I should have it done by the end of the weekend. I'll check this thread and see how you manage on your own.

Have fun.

Travis Hawkins
BeachBum Software
travis@cfm2asp.com

Thanks for that, but after some thinking, using XML here is possibly too complicated. All I want is to write out some content to Excel that I have retrieved in a HTML table.

After some studying I found that by using this,
Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel",
on the top of my ASP page, the user gets the choice to download or open the table in Excel.
That's all I need. And this was suprisingly simple :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back