Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transformer stops responding when deleting a level 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNRM

Programmer
Jan 27, 2005
ZA
Hi,

I have rather an annoying problem with one particular cube – from time to time, due to business changes it is necessary to delete and reinsert unique levels in a dimension. Basically the guys upstairs change an item code here of there and the next thing I have uniqueness violations when building the cube.

Its no hassle to delete a level, reinsert it then set it to unique – that is an unfortunate necessity, I’d prefer not having to but hey you cant have everything.

The problem though is that transformer seems to hang for up to 30min before the level actually disappears and it starts responding again – this is totally unacceptable and make supporting this cube a nightmare especially by remote access where you cant really tell what exactly is going on.

I have five other cubes that do not take nearly as long to do the same thing (similar size; same database; same tables etc.) which makes me think that there is a checkbox lurking somewhere that I don’t k now about that causes this behaviour …any ideas?

In transformer, when you select the properties of the level, there is a checkbox (right next to the 'Unique' checkbox) called 'Move'. Ticking this box moves the categories to the new location when the structure changes, and prevents the uniqueness violations.

By ticking this box, you should never need to delete and reinsert the level in the model again - transformer should take care of it.

Cheers
J

Thanks so much!
This thing of having to manually edit the cube each time a code changes was the last obstacle stopping us from implementing a batch file cube build strategy. The info in this post has given me more time to spend with my family at the weekend which is he real point of all this technology anyway not so?
You truly are a stick amongst twigs.
M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back