Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transformation table question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HrvojeSunjic

Vendor
Dec 2, 2002
HR
I have a hypothetical question. Say I want to do a date transformation, e.g., month - last month. I have lookup tables for the time dimension, including something like LU_TIME_MONTH. Is it possible to include a transformation column in LU_TIME_MONTH containing something like last_month_id, and use the LU_TIME_MONTH table as a transformation table as well as a lu table? Any experiences, thoughts? I guess I could try this, I'd just like to know if it makes any sense.

thanks,

What version are you using? You could set up table aliasing in the later 7.2.3/4 version, that way you could do what you want.

HrvojeSunjic, the answer is yes. You can either use a transformation table with month_id and last_month_id or you can use the same LU_TIME_MONTH with these two columns as lookup table. I normaly model transformations in this last way and have found no problems.

Alfredo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back