Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transform help needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itech2004

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
US
I'm trying to duplicate a magazine cover for fun. I have a photo that was shot in landscape and I'm trying to fit it on a 8.5 x 11 paper that will be portrait.Anyone have any suggestions on adding this photo to the whole page without distorting it? I tried free transform but had no luck.

...the image will need to be scaled up proportionally in your case, so most of the image will be chopped at the sides, top and bottom...

...press control/command + T key to activate free transform on the layer with the image, your image must be a layer and not a background layer. If it says background in the layer with a lock symbol then you need to convert it by holding down the alt/option key and double clicking the layer.

...with transform active you can hold the shift key and scale or you can type in % values in the control bar top of screen with the lock icon activated so that scaling is proportional...

...if this were a real print job, scaling up graphics in Photoshop is not advisable due to quality loss occuring but this depends on a number of variables such as resolution being used and amount of scale being done, scaling down is less of an issue in general, but if doing so it is advised you convert layers to smart layers to avoid resampling issues in a workflow.

andrew

============
============

If you have version CS4 or CS5 there is another option available.

It won't work on extreme transformations or on your particular picture

Go to the edit menu > content aware scale

Try by dragging the handels to make your distortion.

It might work

carlow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back