Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring to tape drive performance problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmonger

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a tape drive model HP Surestore DAT24 with Centronic (low-density) 50-pin input. When I'm doing backup I split the transfers to have more than half of the information going into the internal tape drive, and the rest to go to the external HP Surestore DAT24 drive. The hookup from module to tape drive is as follows: high-density 50-pin SCSI-1 output to tape drive with SCSI-1 low-density(Centronics) 50-pin input.

The problem is the internal tape drive finished faster than the external HP tape drive. The funny thing is the internal tape drive had more data to store. The external tape drive holds less than half of the information. One other note is that the old external HP tape drive (model C2983A) that the DAT24 is replacing is much faster, not to mention it's also an older model!

I talked to the tech guy where I purchased it from and he gave me 2 things to try:

1) The wire with one end having high-density 50-pin SCSI and the other end having low-density 50-pin SCSI may be defective. The error check in it may not perform well. Replace it and we'll see from there.

OR....

2) Exchange the DAT24 drive to have inputs of high-density 50-pin SCSI so that it matches the output from the module, which is also high-density 50-pin SCSI.

I will try both of these options...unless someone knows that one or both of these won't solve the problem. Please let me know what you guys think is the best way to resolve this performance problem.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back