Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring Outlook from one laptop to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghcrazy8

MIS
Apr 17, 2006
US
I just bought a new laptop and need to setup outlook 2007 on the new computer. If I'm signed into my email account on the old computer, can I still setup the same email account on the new computer. If not, what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help. I've done this before but it's been soooo long, I simply forget.

New computer has Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

Not for email in outlook, but yes my husband will be using the laptop.

once I switch it over, I was going to remove outlook from the old laptop.

Then you want to find your PST file (outlook.pst is the default name if you haven't changed it) on your old laptop. You will need to have your view setting set to display hidden files an folders as well as hidden operating system files. On Windows 7 the default location for the file is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. On Windows XP the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

On your old laptop with Outlook closed copy the Outlook PST file to a flash drive or burn to a CD or DVD. Copy the file to your desktop on your new computer and remove the "read only" file attribute.

Then open Outlook on your new computer and go:

1. File ->Import and Export...
2. Select Import from another program or file and click next
3. Select Personal Folder File (.pst) and click next
4. Browse to the location where the PST file that you copied is located and then select the import options that you want then click next.
5. Follow the instructions from there. I can't go any further than that because I have no PST file that I want to import.

If you want to copy your NK2 file (nickname cache) in Windows 7 it is located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook. If using Windows 7 on both computers then copy it to the same location on the new computer. If using XP on the old computer then I can't remember exactly where it is located but you want to copy it to the location that I gave on the new machine (I'm assuming that the new machine is running Windows 7).

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Thank you for your help. Everything is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back