Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring old dbx files into Outlook Exp. on new Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

riastrad76

Technical User
May 8, 2006
GB
Hi there, I'm trying to place some .dbx files from an old hdd on to a new computer so that I can access the folders in Outlook Express.

I've copied over the old .dbx files into the relevant folder on my new HDD:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{DFF16927-88E6-4EAA-A097-460B7E65289B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

When I manually go into the folder via My Computer - C drive - etc, the dbx files are visible (I know this because of their names.) I then started up Outlook Express expecting the files to appear but they didn't - all that appears are the default folders - inbox, outbox, sent etc...

I've tried restarting the computer but that didn't change anything.

I know that my method has worked before but it hasn't on this occasion for some reason.

Did you copy folders.dbx as well? You should use OE's import function if possible.

If you can't get the old folders.dbx and/or the import function doesn't work, you could (with OE closed) delete the current folders.dbx file. Note: you will lose your current folder structure, but not the folders themselves. With all the required .dbx files in the mail store location, open OE and a new folders.dbx will be built.

I used the import function on Outlook Express. At first it appeared that the import could only be done from another email program but then it became apparent that I could import from a store folder for the dbx files that I had created on my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back