Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring CD to CD crashes computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml1911a1

Technical User
Dec 30, 2003
US
Cousin of mine has an XP machine w/ two CD drives, one a CD-ROM, one a CD burner. When they try to transfer files from one CD drive to another, the computer crashes and reboots.

Bad drive, or is this an XP problem? Just trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue.

Thanks!

As the late great Asimov was won't to say. "Insufficient data for meaningful answer"

You will have to post a bit more info that you have if you want any help.

Do malware scans until you are certain it is not virus related.

Ensure all drivers are up to date.

Ensure all Microsoft patches have been applied.

Look in event viewer for any clues

Turn off auto re-boot and set windows to make a minidump. That way you can see the cause of the crash.

Post back any error messages & exact symptoms.

hi, just to add to what stduc said: this could have so many different causes that we would just be guessing. In narrowing things down between hardware (and then to device, motherboard, power supply, etc.) and software (OS, driver, application) you need to be much more specific about all of these things. When a user says, "It just does this...", you need to know (or find) all of the things that could be going on. A good remote diagnosis is possible, but depends on knowing as many of the various factors as possible. When you try to duplicate the problem, see if you can isolate the activities, i.e. copy a file from the HD; if transferring using IE, try another application. If you follow stduc's advice (and please do) the results or lack of results should give the answer. We're here to help.

A lot depends on the speeds of the two CD drives in the system. If the CD-ROM drive is an older (slower) unit, the CD/R-RW may be able to burn a new output CD faster than the old unit can read the input CD. Most CD-burning software (Nero, Roxio, etc.) first makes a copy of the input CD on the hard drive, then burns the new CD from this image, with the hard drive able to feed the data to the CD/R-RW drive quickly enough to keep it happy. Until I adopted this approach to copying CDs I encountered a lot of problems, including the system "hanging" or rebooting.

Just something to consider...

Rich (in Minn.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back