Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfering user profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerBrian

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
we have set up our test win 2k3 on a seperate subnet on our network, this will soon become our primary domain controller when we power down our old 2000 servers

we have set up everything on this server, users/groups, security and permissions, dns , etc

we connected one of our user computers to this new subnet to check everything works - which it did, created an a record etc.

However the problem is that it created a new login user profile for the user -brian
So when we look in docs and settings it has the account of brian and brian.****
brian is the old account on the origonal network login and brian.**** is the new logon profile.

What i want to do is transfer the origonal profile to the new network logon profile.

I found by removing the brian account from the network to the workgroup, rebooting logging in and then rejoining the network , i vould then log in as admin and delete the new profile brian.**** and then renaming brian to brian.****
when i logged back into the network it used the settings that i wanted.....

however this is a long workaround.

i saw that i could go into system - advanced - user profiles- settings
highlight the user profile that i wanted and then copy it to the new profile, however it doesnt give m ethe copy option for that profile - only for the admin profiles.....

is there any way i can do this, as we have 12 pc's all with set user desktop settings that we want to keep .

thanks

i wasnt when i first checked it - i was logged in as a local admin and then local user to test it....
both times the copy box on everything except the admin user profiles were greyed out.....
So if i log in under the domain admin i would be able to do it??

if so is there a set way to do this?

as i said i have at least 15 user profiles id like to keep and move ont o the new server without them getting new profiles created for them....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back