Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering our novell to a mixed domain/non-domain... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcasetnl

MIS
Jan 25, 2001
US
We're moving our File services off novell to 2003.

Under novell, if a user browses to the HOME folder, which contains all USER folders, they see and have access only to their own USER folder. Same thing goes for the department folders.

Under 2003, I can easily set it so that one has access only to their own USER folder, but I can't prevent the full listing of all USER folders when they map to the resource root. I'd like to set it up so only their own home folder appears when they click on the HOME directory. And only their Department directory appears when they click on the DEPARTMENTS directory.

A twist on this scenario is that about 50 percent of our clients are not on our domain and we can't join them at this time. Ideally we want to map one share, and the user will browse to his/her home dir and dept dir.

It would look like this:

W:
\COMMON (all have access)

\DEPARTMENTS
|___> only user's department folder

\HOME
|___> only user's home folder

Any thoughts on how best to implement this are greatly appreciated. Feel free to say "can't get there from here" if it requires login scripts/domain membership.

use abe
just google abe 2003 in google
the install is something like abeui.msi

it doesnt give you the true netware feel but it does help

it means that you can map higher and the people who dont have access will not see the directories

ie set on home and shared

Thanks you so much for that tip. This will help immensely.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Thanks everyone!

ABE is just the ticket. What a life saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back