Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering old website to new template with CSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmphuskers

Programmer
Feb 12, 2003
US
I purchased a new template and am pretty much complete with the formatting the look and feel via Dreamweaver MX.
The template page looks great. But when I apply the new template to an existing page everything goes a little bonkers. Mainly the fonts get jacked up.

I am assuming, not being at all familiar with CSS, that it’s because I have the previous page cluttered with font tags and such.
So I took the section that I cared about which was in my editable region, brought that code into it’s on page and stripped out all the font tags and their attributes.
I put the code back and applied the template again to no avail.

What could be wrong?

I didn’t save the original page I was modifying but the template is here:
Superiorbodysupplements.com/zzz.php
The page I am applying the template to is:
Superiorbodysupplements.com/vein.php

Any advice or places I could go to read up on what to check?

Thanks
Todd

<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
that is appearing above the <doctype> and it will cause problems with CSS.
but apart from that, the page looks fine to me in firefox. (Superiorbodysupplements.com/zzz.php)

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

Todd-

there are some additional problems you should definitely address as well.

Take a look here for the results of the validation of your vein page.

The very first thing I noticed when I looked at the source was your multiple <head> tags.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
Lois: "Peter, you're drunk!"
Peter: "I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinking!

WOW now that's a lot of stuff.
Had no idea it was that messed up.

Thanks a lot to both responses. I need to get to work.
Todd

Interesting problem I encountered. I tried to remove both head begin and end tags (ones around the meta) and DW crashed every time. I can not remove them.
hmmmmmm
Oh well.

Am I correct in at assuming if I remove
<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> and tweak some other erroneous tags my CSS on my new template should take over this page and ignore all my font tags??

I have over a hundred web pages that need this new template applied to. Is this going to be a major manual effort for each page or is there something DW can help automate somehow. I am sure I just have discovered all the tricks of Dreamweaver.

Nailed it nevermind.
On my new template I changed the editable region from title to "whatever".
What this did was force the old page to ask me to resolve the current editable region with a new one. I chose to select "nowhere" therefore it enabled me to get rid of the old editable region without DW crashing and which contained the mutipal head tags.
That freed everything up. Fonts are normal and everything is looking up.

Just wanted to document that here in case other read.

Thanks again!
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back