Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering FSMO roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyEyesAreBurning

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2006
US
I transfered a DC to a new server about a month ago... I thought that I transfered all the FSMO roles as well, as a matter of fact im sure of it. Its been about two months and im getting soem errors in event viewer problem is the old server that had all five roles on it is no longer available. The three roles that came over are the RID, PDC and the Infrastructure master roles. I need the Schema and and the Domain Naming Master roles to come over as well.
I have used the ADSIedit tools and the NTDSUTIL as well non seem to do the trick perhaps. Im not doing something that I should. I am assuming that I first need to seize the roles then transfer them. This would not be a problem if the origionl server was available. NTDSUTIL is telling me that the current FSMO role could not be contacted!!! Obvelously! WTF the dang thing is no longer on the network...
anyway,
any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
MEAB

If you have support tools installed then run the following to confirm the roles:
netdom query fsmo

Then use ntdsutil to seize the remaining two roles.
Transfering will not work as your original server is unavailable.

You can follow this article (Seize FSMO roles section):

Lukasz

Fixed the problem.... happen to be a DNS issue, which is weird because DNS was configured properly. The server was a DNS/AD server and was using its own IP for DNS,I know this because I have been configuring DNS servers for 8 freakin years and thats the way you do it!

Here is the senerio, two servers both serving AD and DNS. Server1 and server2... Server1 was configured as a AD/GC/DNS and had all the FSMO roles prevelously moved to it. The server coughed the Schema and Domin Naming Master roles, why I have no Idea. As a matter of fact the roles were on server2. This is crazy because I put them on Server1!!!! WTF! Anyway, I had to point the DNS Network configuration on server2 and tell it to use Server1 to resolve DNS queries... ran the NTDSUTIL and it worked, not sure why but i fugured I would post a long ass message just in case someone else has the same issues.
Good luck,
MEAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back