Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering data from Reflection to either Word or Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesBlack

Technical User
Dec 30, 2009
US
First off let me point out that I am very inexperienced in all of this and any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for a VBA macro that would export data from Reflections to either MS Word or Excel. Part of my job entails looking through screen after screen of previously entered data for specific tariff codes and I was thinking it would be so much easier to export the data to word or excel and search the whole document at once as opposed to manually viewing thousands of lines four at a time.

Any help would be fantastic. Please let me know if there is any other information needed to help me out.

Thanks for your reply. The program is Reflections for Unix and Digital by WRQ. (The link you sent seems close to what i'm looking for. It looks like it could export the specified data from one screen to Excel. I would need all of the data from the file exported which could amount to several hundered screens.

It's been a while since I've worked with Reflection. I remember seeing command scripts that can control emulate keystrokes and logic that can progress through the application, capturing data until it recognizes the end of data.

My experience has been with the pre-VBA script language, but I guess my message is that the tool seems to have the capability you are looking for. I can look for some of the older scripts we're still using if you think they'd help.

Hi JamesBlack,

Why not directly query the database that Reflections is giving you access to and work with an electronic report from that?

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

LamoniDave, That would be great!

macropod, I wouldn't even know where to begin. My experience with VBA is extremely limited. Everything I know is self taught by looking at examples and examining scripts that I recorded myself.

Hi JamesBlack,

Presumably, the data presented by Reflections is from a database (eg Informix). A database query (eg using SQL) should be able to retrieve exactly what you're after. The dtabase administrator should be able to organise that.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back