Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering Configs

Status
Not open for further replies.

EST7745

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2003
US
We just got two Cisco 1700 Series routers in and we want to use these routers to replace our existing 1601 routers. Is it as simple as saving the config off the 1601 routers and then restoring that config on the new routers? If so, what is the process? Thank you!

Set up a tftp server on your workstation and log into the 1600 routers, type:

copy running-config tftp

and supply the ip of your workstation. Repeat for other router. Here's a free tftp server that's quick and easy to install (you actually just unzip the files and run it - no install):

Then, log into the 1700 routers (before connecting them to the network), connect your workstation with a crossover cable, set up a private network:

interface fa0/0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

manually assign 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 to your workstation, then do the following on the router:

copy tftp running-config

Supply the needed information.

This will copy the config to the router from your pc.

You'll want to do a line-by-line comparison to make sure everythign takes. Sometimes going to a different device or IOS level, the commands are slightly different, or the interface names are different, so you may need to do some manual tweaking.

I would take an easier way.Do a "show start or run" on the 1601's copy the config to notepad,modify them and then paste them into the 1700's.Make your choice!
Regards

I'd do the cut-and-paste method myself. The only significant concern is if there are any differences in the routers or their capabilities. Watch for things like different interface names.

Be warned---I have had many problems reloading configs from text files in Hyperterminal---I don't modify much---I change the same things every time, and sometimes it works without a hitch, sometimes a friggin' disaster. I always copy start tftp and then copy tftp start (or run, whichever suits you). That is just my experience. Believe me---I do know what to modify and what not to (like !, I normally leave alone). In other words, I can take the exact same config text file and transfer it via Hyperterminal 3 times, and get 3 different results.

Burt

I think modifing the config in notepad is the best move.The tftp is more for backup file for the same router.You will need to edit the 1600 files in any case.Why transfer the file and then edit it!?
Regards

You can edit the file before it gets transferred, with Wordpad. Try it---open a blablabla-confg file with Wordpad (not Notepad). I was just explaining what my experience has been. Any of the 3 ways seem to me to be just as easy as eachother---myself, I go for the most reliable way (from what I have experienced).

Burt

I'm with Burt. I have had problems with the copy and paste method as well in Hyperterm, and he's right about using wordpad instead of notepad (which can insert hidden characters and mess stuff up because of some technical ascii stuff that I can't ever seem to remember).

The tftp way saves the cert if you created one for SSH. That being said I always copy to plain text edit and then paste. But hyperterm really does suck. Try PuTTY or SecureCRT. The first is free but the second is totally worth the money.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Both programs do telnet. The tftp to save SSH/cert comment was more of a general cisco comment.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

I see, I don't do much security (yet) and have never heard of using tftp for transferring certs - I always use sftp for private key transfer but that's just for Linux.

If you give a pix/asa a self signed cert for SSH connectivity (ca generate rsa key 1024, show ca mypubkey rsa), the copy and past method will not transfer the cert with it. The tftp method will. It is not a big deal to recreate it so that is what I usually do.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back