Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbmstr012

Technical User
Dec 20, 2003
CA
I have been having an issue with Backup Exec where the transfer rate has been very slow. I used to be able to make a backup in about 4 - 6 hours and now takes me over 20 hours to do!

I thought maybe this problem was due to some difficulties I was having with BE 8.6 but I upgraded to 9.1 and I still have the problem.

I have Qualstar robotic library with two sony SDX-500c.

Any Advice?!?!

Has the size of the back up increased anything?
Have u recently installed a new virs scanner or changed the network topology?
Are u getting any error messages at all?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

The network topology has not changed, we have Mcafee Anti-virus on the server. Also, the only error I was getting was for the robotic expansion library option, ut I purchased a license and it fixed it.

Turn off Anti-Virus prior to performing any backups. If this cannot be done, at least turn off scanning for incoming files and your clients should have outgoing scanning turned off as well.

I agree with comtec17.
Try temporarily switching off the AV for one back up.
If this improves the issue u may have to set some exclusions and switch it back on again.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

I was going to ask a very similar question. But only some of my jobs are slow. I have an ADIC scalar 100 with 2 IBM ULTRIUM-TD1 drives.

I have a mailbox backup (Exchange 2k) that gets this:

Backup completed on 12/22/2003 at 9:52:47 PM.
Backed up 260138 mail message(s) in 2131 folder(s) in 60 mailbox(es)
1 item was skipped.
Processed 9,532,484,212 bytes in 4 hours, 29 minutes, and 13 seconds.
Throughput rate: 33.8 MB/min

And another job that gets this:

Backup completed on 12/22/2003 at 5:23:06 PM.
Backed up 30 database(s)
Processed 7,427,572,825 bytes in 17 minutes and 0 seconds.
Throughput rate: 416.7 MB/min

I realize that mailboxes should take longer than a DB, but 10 times slower?

Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Jeff Halfhide
Duvoisin & Associates

TO: wbmstr012

I also have McAfee AV, I had the same problem on one of my servers. I was getting 385MB per second, when I installed McAfee AV, I was down to 185MV per second. I found out that the AV was having issues with a few files on the server. I took that folder out of scanning & my backup went back up to 385MB per second...

TO: stauron
10 times slower is about right...I get almost the same time differential as you do on my exchange box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back