Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer rate in network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nir

MIS
Jan 8, 2001
IL
dear helping poeple
i have a problem to solve my networking problem.
if i'm working in 100 full duplex between 2 computers (compaq EP450 with ide h.d, intel network card) what is the speed that i need to get if i transfer 100 M file
in mega/sec if i connected peep to peer and if i connected thrue switch.
when i tested it i got 2.6 mega for second and i know that it's slow.
if there are error in the connection but not a lot if is it ok or not
please give me an icq of someone so i can chat with him online and explain him all my network problems
thanks alot
Lanzman Nir

Transfer rates are combinations of lots of things. Raw network transfer speed. Protocols. Access time of hard drive. OS overhead. Driver overhead.
Your 2.6 isn't bad.
Post your problems. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Edfair Has a point.
Also if you want to speed things up a bit and only have 2 computers try hooking them togeather and bypass the switch and or hubs. Use a crossover cable and your throughput should be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back