Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer IOS to new router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejeangilles

Technical User
Oct 22, 2004
US
I am newbie to the cisco world. But was just wondering. If I have a new cisco router with the latest IOS (12.4 enterprise). Can I backup/restore that IOS to a new cisco routers which I am going to purchase that have no IOS on them. Given that they have the right hardware requirements. Also, is that violating cisco licensing agreements or something?

Well, if they are going into a "lab", then you will not be violating anything.
You would tftp the IOS to a computer, then from the new router, you would boot into rommon and do a set, then IP_ADDRESS x.x.x.x and the other parameters (Google tftpdnld, just like that---that's the syntax of the command), and you're all set. I have never tried it directly from one router to another, but maybe I will try that tomorrow. I can't see how without a tftp daemon...

Burt

Burt,

Yes you can use a router as a TFTP server with some limitations -

tftp-server
To configure a router or a Flash memory device on the router as a TFTP server, use one of the following
tftp-server global configuration commands. This command replaces the tftp-server system command.
To remove a previously defined filename, use the no tftp-server command with the appropriate
filename.
tftp-server flash [partition-number:]filename1 [alias filename2] [access-list-number]

I have a 950 page PDF I downloaded from Cisco -
Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference
Release 12.2

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I have used a router as a tftp-server before...but only in a pinch. Works pretty good, but some of the other windows tftp-servers I like better since they can then give some sort of progress bar that's a little easier to read.

You don't say what the current and new routers are. The new routers would have to be the same exact model and have adequate flash and nvram installed to support 12.4 .

Hi all,
There is a command "copy flash flash". I beleive this is where one router is being used as the TFTP server, but don't remember for sure. Probably going to look it up and try it tonight between two 2610s.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The router I have is a Cisco 2620xm 128mb dram 48mb flash IOS 12.4. Its definetly going in a lab environment. The new routers I plan on restoring the IOS to are 2620xm as well. The memory may be different though

Just make sure you have enough memory in the other routers to support 12.4 code that takes quite a bit of memory . If yes then just make your current router a tftp server with address with a connection to the other routers in the same address space and upgrade as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back