Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer files from HD to HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joystick8

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
Can a file be transfered from one hard drive to another when they have different operating system's. ie> win95 to win98se

Yes. A simple file copy should cause no problems. The only problem comes when you try to read an NTFS disk with 95 or 98. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Thanks Bozz>>>> so I can put an newly formatted hard drive, with win98se on it, in my pc along with my old hard drive, with win95 on it, and transfer files and programs to the new drive? are there any special issues I need to know about? Thank again :)

Just don't set the Win98 harddrive as the primary master in a computer that it wasn't in when Win98 was installed. If you do then it will boot to the 98 drive try to install new devices.

Howdy:

Programs MUST be installed, they can't just be copied.. When you install a program, it writes certain files to different areas of your operating system and to the Registry.. Without these files, the program won't run and copying the program does NOT copy all these other files..

Murray

And be aware that there are filesystem issues where 95 can't see 98 drives.
An example is early 95 that can't see a fat32 98.
Probably a better way would be to put the 95 as secondary to the 98. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Also look out because if you installed the two drives and one of your drives are formatted with NTFS and the other FAT32 it wont copy. NTFS and FAT32 cant read each other without a third party utility. really NTFS can read FAT32 but not vice versa. FAT and NTFS can though.

NTFS partitions can read FAT and FAT32 partitions.
FAT and FAT32 cannot read NTFS partitions.
You don't have to worry about this though cause only NT built operating systems will run on an NTFS partition so both of your drives are must be FAT and/or FAT32.

It wasn't until Windows 95B (OSR2) that FAT32 came out. If you are running Windows 95A then you will not be able to see the other drive if it is formatted as FAT32 but if you boot to the 98 drive then you will see the 95 drive no matter what version of FAT is on either drive, as long as they are jumpered and configured right in the BIOS.

thanks to everyone for the help/advise. it will probably be next week before I do anything to that PC but thanks for the help and I will let you all know how it turned out [thumbsup]

Cool... well good luck joystick8. It's not very hard but it is always good to take your time to get the right information before trying something new. Write back if we left any gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back