Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer files and applications from a hard drive to a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thespian

Programmer
Nov 20, 2002
US
My computer crashed with no possibility to restore. I have an image file that I used as backup that can be mounted as a read only volume. Alternatively, I can also remove the hard drive from the dead computer and connect it as a USB drive. Is there a software product that will transfer files and applications from a drive to a new computer without the necessity of running on the sending computer? I would like to avoid re-installing nearly 100 programs especially since I may not have the install files or the activation codes any more. Windows 10 on both systems. Dead one is Dell Inspiron and new one is HP Pavilion.

j

Thespian said:
I have an image file that I used as backup that can be mounted as a read only volume.

Does the tool you used to produce this image not have the ability to restore? Restoring this image is the only way to avoid reinstalling and activating all the programs.

The restore of the image allowed me to bring up Windows but when one an update performed a restart I could no longer get past the recovery screen. Doing another restore did not correct the situation. I can send the computer to Dell for warranty repair but they will just wipe it and reinstall Windows.

If the "destination" computer is a new or different computer, you need an image backup product that can restore to dis-similar hardware. I use Macrium and it has worked for me that way when I migrated to a new PC. However, now is too late to be trying to do this UNLESS the product you used already has this capability. What did you use to create the image? Your only hope is that the product has the capability and you are just doing it wrong.

What was the reason for the PC failure? If the only reason it is failing to restore is new hardware, you could buy the same PC off Ebay and then do the restore, get it running and then use another product to get a proper image backup that could be restored to another PC.

I miss LapLink. XD

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back