Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer Data from Old Computer to New One ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofield

Technical User
Dec 10, 2007
US
Hi,
I'm getting a new computer and was wondering if there was a easy way to transfer all the programs and files from my old computer to my new one.

Thanks for any help. Happy Holidays,

Best start fresh with the operating system and programs but hook up you old hard drive as slave to transfer over your valuable files.
I can't see the point in copying over crap that has accumulated over months of use and now really is the time to start a new....and I'm guessing you have the 3-4hours needed to do the job right.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

if you have a router and the two computers connected via ethernet cable, then you can transfer your files using the "windows easy transfer" sofwtare.

or if you're planning on using the same drive in your new pc then just clean install and it will put your files in folder called "windows.old" and then just copy the relevant files across and delete the rest of the un needed files.

or just install your old drive in your new pc and copy your files from local disk d (old drive) to local disk c (new drive).

Asus P5K Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive
ATI EAX1550 Gamer Edition 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back