Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article80

Technical User
May 3, 2013
VG
Does anyone know if certification can be transferred.

what form of certification are you talking about?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

If you talk about your training certificate, yes.

Well that would then depend on what he means by transferred

If you leave a company that your were employed by when you got certified, then you lose access to the certificates. If you get hired somewhere else that new company will have to apply to move your certifications.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

If this is what we are speaking about then it is more restrictive than that.

All of your certifications are now controlled by your employer. This is inclusive of any Mitel certifications that you've received elsewhere or even paid for yourself. For someone like myself this is very concerning as I hold certifications in many products that could potentially be stripped were I to leave my employer. I just checked and in my case, including all update courses, I hold 253 certificates.

THIS CERTIFICATE IS ONLY VALID TO THE EXTENT HOLDER IS EMPLOYED BY AN AUTHORIZED MITEL DISTRIBUTOR PERMITTED TO SELL, INSTALL, AND MAINTAIN PRODUCTS FOR WHICH INSTRUCTION HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Right from the bottom of a certificate.
The name of the employer is on the certificate which will change if you switch to another dealer.
All the new employer has to do is call Mitel and set you up for Mitel online.
Then you can call/email Mitel University to get the process started and get you certificates moved over.
The tech ID will change but all certificates get transferred over to your new employer.

@Waldosworld, my understanding is that the previous employer can retain the certificates indefinitely.

I went through the process last year and the only thing Mitel did was issue a new tech ID and then moved all certificates over to my new employer.
Think from Mitel's view of point, if you leave your employer and you are the only certified tech a company has on a given product, what is to stop an uncertified tech from calling in and using your old tech ID to get product support?

Im with Waldo on this one. My comany has 4 guys who all left the same company and we all had our records transfered once we had a new MoL account set up. There was no issue at all.

In fact recently we emplyed a guy who we used to work with many years ago who has not worked on 3300 since R7. He has been employed by non mitel vendors since then and once we registered him on MoL he even got his old training records which meant he just had to do lots of update courses to catch up

At bobcheese and Waldosworld,

What you are describing was definitely true up to about a year ago. It may even still be true to a degree. What I have been informed is that too many people were leaving one company to go to another and Mitel put restrictions on the certs and put them in control of the Employer. I have not seen this tested.

Good to know. Certainly never heard of any tech having his certs withheld but will keep it in my mind

I'll see if I can get clarification from my source.

Thanks for the responses.

What happens if I am contracted to maintain systems for companies A,B and C ?

I was employed by vendor X and left. Can I use my certification to access AMC records ?

What is the process?

Depends if companies A,B&C Mitel resellers or end users?
If resellers get the one that you do the most work for to get you Mitel Online access.
Then you can get your certifications transferred.
Note that you cannot call in for product support for a client of company A using company B's support contract.

Companies A ,B and C are end-users.

Company X is a reseller that I worked for in the past.

I will like to work directly for the end-users.

Unfortunately, as stated on certificates on an older post.
THIS CERTIFICATE IS ONLY VALID TO THE EXTENT HOLDER IS EMPLOYED BY AN AUTHORIZED MITEL DISTRIBUTOR PERMITTED TO SELL, INSTALL, AND MAINTAIN PRODUCTS FOR WHICH INSTRUCTION HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
You can still work on the product same as customers do, however not certified and no product support.
Also unless the customer has an agreement for software assurance through a Mitel VAR no access to AMC = no free upgrades or adding licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back