Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer call, still using line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill211

Technical User
Jun 9, 2008
US
Have you ever had someone ask a question and the correct answer is:
Oh, you don't understand how it works.

A manager said:
They're not using a good phone system, because
When you transfer a call, the phone system keeps the call on the line.
Then, that line is occupied and the next call can't come in.

One answer:
(No, you don't understand...)
Yes, the phone system keeps the call in our system,
But, that doesn't keep the next call from coming in.
A T1 line has 23 channels and we're only half full, 100% of the time.
There are plenty of available lines/channels and the staff is available again, after transfer.

However, here is my question to you:
Do all systems do this?
Answer 2: "All phone systems do this." Is this correct?
Can I say: "Yes, but all phone systems do this, and it's not a problem"

Do some phone systems, give the phone call/line back to the phone company, after a transfer? (I assume is what they mean)

Does/Can it work this way:
When you transfer a call, using certain phone systems, that call actually leaves my phone system and no longer takes up a line? (actually 2 lines, including the outgoing call)

Thanks for any comments

Transfer or forward?

A transfer off site will use 1 trunk channel for the outbound leg (and by inference you get billed for that) and 1 channel inbound (Assuming it's an external inbound call) this is true for ISDN and may be true for SIP but it depends on the SIP carrier. However, if you have centres lines, you can in theory transfer a call and free the line, but who uses centres and a pax?

Forwarding is similar, certain carriers will allow call deflection (Usually an additional service at extra cost) where the forward is set at the coffee

So no, no pax will eliminate tromboning with the CO for transfers and some carriers may provide a feature that certain parts can use for forwards

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

If it's a cloud based pbx from a sip carrier maybe. Not ip office.

Some songs are very, very long. This one isn't.

Even with IP Office it is possible, it fully depends on the provider.
On ISDN you can request for "ON NET" transfers, then calls are routed by the provider if transferred external.
On SIP you need to have a provider which can set that up in their SBC/SIP Proxy server

But usually I also answer "Sorry, that is not possible" because in my experience it takes al lot of service hours to get it working (not configuration but telling the provider what you want them to deliver) and testing. Usually it is not in the offer and a customer always claims it must be part of the offer then we have to spend all those hours for free. We don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back