Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer between Metaframe XP and Novell 4.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

iso9000

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2002
DE
Hi,

in our compay we have two load balanced Metaframe-Servers XP, Win 2000 with an PDC (WIN2000) who
manages the Users. Second we have also an Novell 4.11 SP9 File Server with shared Folders.
External Users have the German "Busines-Online" (1,5 MBit, Telekom), the Internet is reached
via a two 2MBit-Non-Telekom-Line. All connections are controlled by a firewall (WIN2000).

The Problem is: when someone transfers - for example - an small PDF-File from an
Novell-Folder via Metaframe to his Laptop somewhere out of the Office, it is very very slow.
Bigger transfers are absolutely not possible; regardless wether he has WIN98 or NT or WIN2000
on his machine. In the local Network this is no problem.
The real work on the Metaframe (Applications) from outside is not affected by this, only trans-
ferring data.
Has anybody an idea about this?
Regards,
Charlie

Charlie,

From your message I am guessing that the file transfer inside is also occuring through the metaframe? If so then the problem is not the metaframe and Novell, but with your firewall, upload speed, ISP, and/or the virus scan.
Can the user transfer files quickly from the Citrix box to the laptop without the Novell server?

The problem with transfering files from Citrix to the laptop from a Novell server is that the request has to go through several checks to be completed. First the request is sent from the Citrix box to the Novell server, then back to the Citrix box for verification and then it is sent from the Citrix box to the laptop and back for verification. This is done with each request.

I have transfered files from my Citrix server to my home over a cable modem and I have noticed that it is not as speedy as you would think. Remember that Citrix was built to be more application intensive, not network. You may wish to setup an FTP server if possible to transfer files instead of a Citrix connection.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back