Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer a Linux Repository to a New CVSNT server on WIndows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkshireman2

Programmer
Jan 21, 2005
CA
I have been tasked with testing that our CVS backups (from a Linux server) actually will work when restored (so we don't lose all our software from years of development)

Someone, years ago, set up a system to put all the files from our Linux server into a tarred and zipped file and we back this up to tape every night. Nobody has ever tested it though.
I successfully uncompressed the directories and files from one of the backup files but I don't know what to do with them.
I tried installing WINCVS on my Windows 7 computer, after reading on the web that WINCVS has a server.
BUT I don't see how to work with the server in the WIncvs interface. Two of us have struggled with this for hours a week ago then gave up.
Now I just read that the WINCVS is only the client and it is CVSNT that is the server.
Well, WINCVS said they install the CVSNT at the same time but I do not see the service running in Task Manager!
Yet some instructions I found on one web page said I have to start the CVSNT service- can't because it doesn't recognise it and there is no program inside the programs menu for CVSNT.

I need to restore the existing directories/files to this new computer and have it running as a 'test' CVS server so I can then try checking out files from another computer and see if they look ok.

Please does anybody know how I can do this? I have been told today to drop all customer support and everything and get this working - otherwise we could lose all our business assets.

Maybe the server is not oinstalled after all???
So how do I even install the server?
Then how do I "attach" the unzipped repository?
Then how do I know it will work just like it does now with our clients on the real Linux server??
(feeling the stress)

By the way, I have so far not found a single description on the internet on how to restore your backed up Linux repository to another server - running Windows.
Has ANYBODY ever tried restoring their precious data that they tar and zip every night? Or is everyone living dangerously? Unless you actually get a backup restored and functioning you don't know that it will work and you could be 'up the creek'. The very reason you may need to restore is probably that the original server died so you need to be able to setup a new server and restore the old repository to the new computer.
Why don't such articles apperar on my searches????

Also, I tried reading the help for CVSNT but where it says you can issue a command (I assume in a cmd window) like this: setenv CVSROOT /usr/local/cvsroot to set the repository, My attempt returns that setenv is not a recognised command.

No replies on this yet and no time left, so never mind- I gave up on Windows. I got someone who knows linux to install SUSE on an old box that we had and he set up CVS server on there- it took even him a few days to figure it out but we finally managed tochecko ut some files form the backed up/unzipped repository.
Only thing missing is that none of the user accounts of th eoriginal server are setup.
It seems like CVS gives us NO WAY to do a proper RESTORE function, where you simply drop the backed up files on the drive and say "Restore"; I would expect such a function so you can restore the whole repository including user accounts and simply continue working.

If we DO lose our current CVS server it seems our developers will be down for quite some time before we can manually set up a working CVS server again.

Seems a shame- Other file storage and database syetems allow you to attach a database or restore so why doesn't CVS?

Oh well, next my boss wants me to prove or Fogbugz database is being backed up correctly and that we can restore it.

Thread cancelled- no responses in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back