Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer a file from server to desktop with remote acess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalie2400

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I have a file stored on my server and need help moving it onto my desktop which is connected to the server using a remote desktop connection... I have several limitations, no e-mail or web connection on the server... I can't just e-mail it to myself, is there another solution?

I'm not clear. Is this server on a lan with you, or are you connecting to it over the web (wan connection)? I don't recall a way to use rdp to transfer files, I know Citrix can do it.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I am dialing in using a remote desktop connection (dialing the ip address)
What is Citrix and where can I get it???
Thanks so much for your help!!!

Citrix is an add on that works much in the same way that remote desktop does. However, you can transfer files, printing is more automated, and it is faster. It costs a lot of money though, and it sounds like you are an end user.

Contact your administrator to setup ftp or a similar solution to transfer files. Citrix is expensive. Its worth it, but its hard to justify that cost for the needs of one user (unless you are important enough to warrant this being done).

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

If the server is using Windows 2003 and your home machine is using Win XP with RDP 5.1 (I think that's the newest one), you can map your local drives onto the server or just do direct copy/paste. First open the remote desktop client, then enter the computer name that you want to contact, click on options, click on local resources, put a check mark in local drives. Try to connect to the server and go into My computer or windows explorer on the server, you should be able to see your local drives. The admin might of also put Group Policies to prevent external drive mapping. Another solution might be accessing your server through VPN. Citrix is a very expensive program that you install on a server to better manage applications/restrictions/printer mappings and many many more goodies that MS doesn't offer.

good luck
akwong

I'll have to look at that, I hadn't seen that yet. ;)

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back