Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transaction History Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT00000001

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2003
TT
An error message comes up saying that: An open operation on table 'GL_Account_TRX_HIST' has an incorrect record length.

I suspect that the error is due to too many records in the mentioned table. The error only started after updating from version 5.0 to version 6.0.

The error comes up on any action to this table, even a shrink or rebuild. Check links finds no errors. It also comes up when I try to remove history.

Is there any way I can fix this with out reverting to a backup?

Sounds like your update didn't work completely. Usually the core financials updates are pretty smooth. I'd revert to the backup and try your update again.

Did you do any Dexterity customization to this system, like using core fields in a custom panel?

Is that the only solution? I know I can also clear the data from this table (which I tested and then reverted to a backup). However, the historical data is necessary.

I find it difficult to restore the backup and update again as the update was done about two weeks ago. That's alot of work for accounts to redo. I wonder if the following is an acceptable solution:

1. Backup current data
2. Revert to past version
3. Redo Update
4. Backup new data
5. Revert to backup from 1.
6. Replace GL30000 .dat & .idx with those from backup 4.

There were some warnings after the update but those were for tables that did not exist which they said may not be a problem.

What do you think of my solution? Is there anything else I can do?

That might be your only solution other than a complete restore. No one closed out the year for the financials module between the udpate and now did they?

Do you have access Great Plains support or a reseller for support? If your idea doesn't work I would definately contact them because that g/l history table is your historical data.

My idea worked. You were right, the problem was that the Transaction History files (GL30000 .dat & .idx) weren't properly updated. I restored the previous version (5.0 of Great Plains), updated it and used the newly updated Transaction History Files on the current system (the first update to version 6.0). In doing this, no work was lost as I had not closed and/or consolidated any years after doing the first update (and only the historical files were replaced).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back