Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traning: VB 2005 vs 2008 and .NET 2.0 vs 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrausnick

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
US
I'm a VFP developer who needs to learn VB and .NET for a large conversion project. I'm looking at DVD-based training packages that are for VB 2005 and .NET 2.0, but the project will be VB 2008 and .NET 3.5.

Is there enough of a difference that I should make sure I get training in VB 2008/.NET 3.5, or will the training in the older versions suffice?

My employer is buying, so cost is only somewhat a factor.

Thanks,

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

I say if you can do the 2008 version, then do that.

I will also say that I develop mainly with 2003/.NET 1.1, but I have had to do some work in 2005/.NET 2.0 and had no problems with the switch. Basically there are some added/changed features between the various versions, but nothing so radically different that one can't move between them relatively easily.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Agreed. The shift between VB6 to VB.Net 2005 has been relatively simple. A few nuances that have taken a little adjustments, but nothing too serious. The folks here have cleared up most of my questions rather quickly. Plus, if you can learn the "latest and greatest" technologies, that would be a major benefit in the long term.

Always good to be ahead of the curve when it comes to technology and industry standards.

"If I were to wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

OK,sounds good. Thanks for the information.

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back