Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traking what webpages have been viewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykotik

Vendor
Jul 30, 2002
US
Not likely at all if he deleted everything, cleared temp files, and the cache, etc. At most, you could get some low-level software to analyze the HDD directly to find what files have been "deleted" by Windows. But it's EXTREMELY unlikely this will work given the fact of, You have no idea when he removed all these files, and how many files have been created/moved/deleted etc.(which overwrites those previously "deleted" files.) Try this; C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings; copy and past the previous(minus the ;'s)into Explorer, Internet Explorer, My Computer, or whatever, and replace username with whatever username you use. Check the dirs listed in there. You might be able to turn up some clues as to where he's been. James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician

I know that some of the web addresses are stored in the Registry and am not sure if they are wiped when the history and suchlike is deleted. I would run Regedit and find 'tek-tips' and take it from there. Certainly when I've just done this I have got a load of info under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs although admittedly I haven't deleted my history recently!
Hope this helps
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back